About & Contact
I am a wholly independent vagabond writer, statistician, scientist and consultant. Previously a Professor at the Cornell Medical School, a Statistician at DoubleClick in its infancy, a Meteorologist with the National Weather Service, and a sort of Cryptologist with the US Air Force (the only title I ever cared for was Staff Sergeant Briggs).
My PhD is in Mathematical Statistics, though I am now a Data Philosopher (I made that up), Epistemologist, Probability Puzzler, Unmasker of Over-Certainty, and (self-awarded) Bioethicist. My MS is in Atmospheric Physics, and Bachelors is in Meteorology & Math.
Author of Uncertainty: The Soul of Modeling, Probability & Statistics, a book which calls for a complete and fundamental change in the philosophy and practice of probability & statistics; author of two other books and dozens of works in fields of statistics, medicine, philosophy, meteorology and climatology, solar physics, and energy use appearing in both professional and popular outlets. Full CV (pdf updated rarely).
DO NOT SEND ANY REQUESTS FOR SPONSORED POSTS OR ADVERTISING OF ANY KIND. THE ANSWER IS NO. ANY SUCH REQUESTS MAY BE PUBLISHED ON THE BLOG FOR THE PURPOSE OF COMEDY OR RIDICULE. I AM SERIOUS. I GET AT LEAST ONE OF THESE EMAILS A DAY. I WILL PUBLISH NAMES AND EMAIL ADDRESSES. STOP SENDING THEM.
Although it might not look like it to you, I receive all the mails and they are all formatted fine.
I am available, for a fee, for any of at least these activities:
- Penning articles, reports, stories. Obituaries for my enemies are free of charge;
- Contract research—much requested; order early for the holiday rush.
- Telling you and your company just why what you’re doing is wrong.
- Uncertainty analysis of all kinds;
- Lecturing, speaking, teaching, seminars, holding forth.
Past clients include: Wall Street Journal,, Cornell University, New York Methodist Hospital, Delta-X Research, various marketing firms, real estate companies, and many more.
All work cheerfully undertaken.
NEED A SPEAKER?
- The Over-Certainty Pandemic,
- Science, Not Scientism,
- Everything You Believe About Statistics is Wrong,
- Top Seven Fallacies in Probability and Statistics,
- What Predictive Analytics Should Be,
- Global Warming Isn’t So Hot.