Who Is W.M.B.?
Email: email@example.com or use the Contact Page.
Address: Please email for current address.
Books page link.
Except for a two-week period each summer at Cornell, I am wholly independent; i.e., I have no position. I depend on you, dear reader, for my livelihood.
So if you hear of somebody that needs somebody, or you know of a situation in a remote land, a place where the mountains are high and the emperor far away, let me know. If you want me as a teacher, see this first.
Most think Statistics is a set of arcane, occult mathematical incantations, which, if used properly, will bless their beliefs and prove statistical—God help us—significance. But statistics isn’t this. It should instead be the systematic search for a true understanding of uncertainty. Nearly all textbook-uses of statistics result in over-certainty, of people being far too sure of themselves. Contact me for more information. Hire Me page.
I am available to talk about uncertainty, certainty, and over-certainty; philosophy of science, metaphysics, logic, epistemology, R, the supposed horrors which await us when climate change finally strikes, Bayesian statistics, or anything else you’re willing to sit still for. I am available to give talks, lectures, classes, speeches, seminars, or, for the price of a drink, to hold forth. See my Classic Posts page for sample videos. Lectures page.
- 2004-present Adjunct Professor of Statistical Science, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York
- I teach one course a year to people who (rightfully) hate statistics. See my web page for that which interests me.
- 1998-present. Statistical consultant, Various companies
- The rest of my time is spent coaxing people out of their money for telling them they are too sure of themselves. All manner of analyses cheerfully undertaken. Example: I created the Wall Street Journal’s College Rankings.
- Freelance writer, Various places
- Crisis, Pajamas Media, Quirks, and others.
- 2003-2010. Research Scientist, New York Methodist Hospital, New York
- Besides the usual, I sit/sat on the Institutional Review Committee to review the statistics of proposed research. I was an Associate Editor for Monthly Weather Review (through 2011). Also a member of the American Meteorological Society’s Probability and Statistics Committee (through 2011). At a hospital? Yes, sir; at a hospital.
- 2007, 2010 Visiting Professor of Statistics, Department of Mathematics, Central Michigan University, Mt. Pleasant, MI
- Ask me about the difference between “a degree” and “an education.”
- 2003-2007, Assistant Professor Statistics, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, New York
- Working here gave me a sincere appreciation for the awfulness of grants.
- 2002-2003. Gotham Risk Management, New York
- A start up then, after Enron’s shenanigans, a start down. We set future weather derivative and weather insurance contract prices that incorporated information from medium- and long-range weather and climate forecasts
- 1998-2002. DoubleClick, New York
- Yes, I was part of the evil empire. I have since repented.
- 1993-1998. Graduate student, Cornell University
- Meteorology, applied climatology, and finally statistics. Was Vice Chair of the graduate student government; elected thanks to the miracle of ethanol.
- 1992-1993. National Weather Service, Sault Ste. Marie, MI
- Forecast storms o’ the day and launched enormous balloons in the name of science. My proudest moment came when I was able to convince an ancient IBM-AT machine to talk to an analog, 110 baud, phone-coupled modem, all using BASIC!
- 1989-1992. Undergraduate student, Central Michigan University
- Meteorology and mathematics. Started the local student meteorology group to chase tornadoes. Who knew Michigan had so few? Spent a summer at U. Michigan playing with a science-fiction-sounding lidar.
- 1983-1989. United States Air Force
- Cryptography and other secret stuff. Shot things; learned pinochle. I adopted and became proficient with a fascinating and versatile vocabulary. Irritate me for examples. TS/SCI+ security clearance (now inactive).
- Ph.D., 2004, Cornell University. Statistics.
- M.S., 1995, Cornell University. Atmospheric Science.
- B.S., Summa Cum Laude, 1992, Central Michigan University. Meteorology and Math.
- Briggs, WM., 2014? The Logic of Probability and Statistics. In preparation! Notice the exclamation point!
- Briggs, WM., 2008 Breaking the Law of Averages: Real Life Probability and Statistics in Plain English. LULU Press, New York. Text/notes for undergraduates. Buy it today! Or download e-copy for free.
- Briggs, WM., 2006. So You Think You’re Psychic?. I’ll bet you’re not. Buy it today! Or download e-copy free.
- Legates, DR, Soon, W, and Briggs, 2013. Learning and Teaching Climate Science: The Perils of Consensus Knowledge Using Agnotology. Science and Education. In press. DOI 10.1007/s11191-013-9588-3.
- Briggs, WM, 2012. On probability leakage. arxiv.
- Briggs, WM, 2012. It is Time to Stop Teaching Frequentism to Non-statisticians. Now just on arxiv. Somebody told me this was linked in Nate Silver’s latest book?
- Briggs, WM, 2012. Why do statisticians answer questions no one ever asks? Significance. Volume 9 Issue 1 Doi: 10.1111/j.1740-9713.2012.00542.x. 30–31.
- Briggs, WM, Soon, W, Legates, D, Carter, R, 2011. A Vaccine Against Arrogance. Water, Air, & Soil Pollution: Volume 220, Issue 1 (2011), Page 5-6.
- Briggs, WM, 2010. The optimal combination of probabilistic forecasts to maximize skill. Awaiting a home.
- Briggs, WM , 2009. Induction and falsifiability in statistics. arxiv.org/abs/math/0610859. (pdf)
- Briggs, WM, and R Zaretzki, 2009. A new look at inference for the Hypergeometric Distribution. Awaiting a home. (pdf)
- Briggs, WM, 2010. Discussion to A Gelman. Why Tables are Really Much Better than Graphs. Journal Computational and Graphical Statistics. Volume 20, 16-17.
- Zaretzki R, Gilchrist MA, Briggs WM, and Armagan A, 2010. Bias correction and Bayesian analysis of aggregate counts in SAGE libraries. BMC Bioinformatics, 11:72doi:10.1186/1471-2105-11-72.
- Zaretzki, R, Briggs, W, Shankar, M, Sterling, M, 2009. Fitting distributions of large scale power outages: extreme values and the effect of truncation. International Journal of Power and Energy Systems. DOI: 10.2316/Journal.203.2009.1.203-4374.
- Briggs, WM, 2007. Changes in number and intensity of world-wide tropical cyclones arxiv.org/physics/0702131. (pdf)
- Briggs, WM, 2007. On the non-arbitrary assignment of equi-probable priors arxiv.org/math.ST/0701331. (pdf)
- Briggs, WM, 2007. On the changes in number and intensity of North Atlantic tropical cyclones Journal of Climate. 21, 1387-1482. arxiv.org/abs/physics/0701345 (first draft) (most current draft)
- Briggs, WM, Positive evidence for non-arbitrary assignments of probability, 2007. Edited by Knuth et al. Proceedings 27th International Workshop on Bayesian Inference and Maximum Entropy Methods in Science and Engineering. American Institute of Physics. 101-108. (pdf)
- Briggs, WM, R Zaretzki, 2007. The Skill Plot: a graphical technique for the evaluating the predictive usefulness of continuous diagnostic tests. With discussion. Biometrics, 64(1), 250-6; discussion 256-61. PMID: 18304288. (pdf)
- R Zaretzki, MA Gilchrist, WM Briggs, and A Armagan, 2007. MCMC Inference for a Model with Sampling Bias: An Illustration using SAGE data. arxiv.
- Briggs, WM, and D Ruppert, 2006. Assessing the skill of yes/no forecasts for Markov observations. Monthly Weather Review. 134, 2601-2611. (pdf)
- Briggs, WM, 2006. Review of Statistical Methods in the Atmospheric Sciences (second edition, 2006) by Wilks, D.S. Journal of the American Statistical Association, 102 380.
- Briggs, WM, M Pocernich, and D Ruppert, 2005. Incorporating misclassification error in skill assessment. Monthly Weather Review, 133(11), 3382-3392. (pdf)
- Briggs, WM, 2005. A general method of incorporating forecast cost and loss in value scores. Monthly Weather Review, 133(11), 3393-3397. (pdf)
- Briggs, WM, and D Ruppert, 2005. Assessing the skill of Yes/No Predictions. Biometrics. 61(3), 799-807. (pdf)
- Briggs, WM, 2004. Discussion to T Gneiting, LI Stanberry, EP Grimit, L Held, NA Johnson, 2008. Assessing probabilistic forecasts of multivariate quantities, with an application to ensemble predictions of surface winds. Test, 17, 240-242.
- Briggs, WM, 2004. Discussion to Gel, Y, AE Raftery, T Gneiting, and V.J. Berrocal, 2004. Calibrated Probabilistic Mesoscale Weather Field Forecasting: The Geostatistical Output Perturbation (GOP) Method. J. American Statistical Association. 99 (467): 586-587.
- Mozer, JB, and Briggs, WM, 2003. Skill in real-time solar wind shock forecasts. J. Geophysical Research: Space Physics, 108 (A6), SSH 9 p. 1-9, (DOI 10.1029/2003JA009827). (pdf)
- Briggs, WM, 1999. Review of Forecasting: Methods and Applications (third edition, 1998) by Makridakis, Wheelwright, and Hyndman; and Elements of Forecasting (first edition, 1998) by Diebold. Journal of the American Statistical Association, 94, 345-346.
- Briggs, W.M., and R.A. Levine, 1997. Wavelets and Field Forecast Verification. Monthly Weather Review, 25 (6), 1329-1341. (pdf)
- Briggs, WM, and DS Wilks, 1996. Estimating monthly and seasonal distributions of temperature and precipitation using the new CPC long-range forecasts. Journal of Climate, 9, 818-826.
- Briggs, WM, and DS Wilks, 1996. Extension of the CPC long-lead temperature and precipitation outlooks to general weather statistics. Journal of Climate, 9, 3496-3504.
- Annika Krystyna, D Kumari, R Tenney, R Kosanovic, T Safi, WM Briggs, K Hennessey, M Skelly, E Enriquez, J Lajeune, W Ghani1 and MD Schwalb, 2013. Hepatitis c antibody testing in African American and Hispanic men in New York City with prostate biopsy. Oncology Discovery, Vol 1.
- Ziad Y. Fayad, Elie Semaan, Bashar Fahoum, W. Matt Briggs, Anthony Tortolani, and Marcus D’Ayala, 2013. Aortic mural thrombus in the normal or minimally atherosclerotic aorta: A systematic review and meta-analysis of the available literature. In review.
- Yuliya Borisovna Goldsmith, MD; Ijaz Ahmad; Vishnu Sing; Marcus D’Ayala; Igor Klem; William M Briggs; Mohammed Ahmed; Munawar Hayat; Terrence J Sacchi; John F. Heitner, 2011. Serum Biomarkers and Traditional Risk Factors as Predictors of Peripheral Arterial Disease Assessed by Magnetic Resonance Angiography. PLoS ONE. In review.
- Birkhahn RH, Wen W, Datillo PA, Briggs WM, Parekh A, Arkun A, Byrd B, Gaeta TJ, 2012. Improving patient flow in acute coronary syndromes in the face of hospital crowding. J Emerg Med. 2012 Aug;43(2):356-65.
- Wei Li, Piotr Gorecki, Elie Semaan, William Briggs, Anthony J. Tortolani, Marcus D’Ayala, 2011. Concurrent Prophylactic Placement of Inferior Vena Cava Filter in gastric bypass and adjustable banding operations: An analysis of the Bariatric Outcomes Longitudinal Database (BOLD). J. Vascular Surg. 2012 Jun;55(6):1690-5.
- Krystyna A, Kosanovic R, Tenney R, Safi T, Briggs WM, et al. (2011) Colonoscopy Findings in Men with Transrectal Ultrasound Guided Prostate Biopsy: Association of Colonic Lipoma with Prostate Cancer. J Cancer Sci Ther S4:002. doi:10.4172/1948-5956.S4-002
- Krystyna A, Safi T, Briggs WM, Schwalb MD, 2010. Higher morbidity in prostate cancer patients after transrectal ultrasound guided prostate biopsy with 3-day oral ciprofloxacin prophylaxis, independent of number of cores. Brazilian Journal of Urology. Mar-Apr;37(2):223-9; discussion 230. PMID:21557839.
- Elizabeth Haines, Gerardo Chiricolo, Kresimir Aralica, William Briggs, Robert Van Amerongen, Andrew Laudenbach, Kevin O’Rourke, and Lawrence Melniker MD, 2012. Derivation of a Pediatric Growth Curve for Inferior Vena Caval Diameter in Healthy Pediatric Patients. Crit Ultrasound J. 2012 May 28;4(1):12.
- Birkhahn RH, Haines E, Wen W, Reddy L, Briggs WM, Datillo PA., 2011. Estimating the clinical impact of bringing a multimarker cardiac panel to the bedside in the ED. Am J Emerg Med. 2011 Mar;29(3):304-8.
- Krystyna A, Safi T, Briggs WM, Schwalb MD., 2011. Correlation of hepatitis C and prostate cancer, inverse correlation of basal cell hyperplasia or prostatitis and epidemic syphilis of unknown duration. Int Braz J Urol. 2011 Mar-Apr;37(2):223-9; discussion 230.
- Birkhahn RH, Blomkalns A, Klausner H, Nowak R, Raja AS, Summers R, Weber JE, Briggs WM, Arkun A, Diercks D. The association between money and opinion in academic emergency medicine. West J Emerg Med. 2010 May;11(2):126-32. PMID: 20823958.
- Muniyappa R, Briggs WM, 2010. Limited Predictive Ability of Surrogate Indices of Insulin Sensitivity/Resistance in Asian Indian Men: A Calibration Model Analysis. AJP – Endocrinology and Metabolism. 299(6):E1106-12. PMID: 20943755.
- Arkun A, Briggs WM, Patel S, Datillo PA, Bove J, Birkhahn RH, 2010. Emergency department crowding: factors influencing flow. West J Emerg Med. Feb;11(1):10-5.PMID: 20411067.
- Li W, D’Ayala M, Hirshberg A, Briggs W, Wise L, Tortolani A, 2010. Comparison of conservative and operative treatment for blunt carotid injuries: analysis of the National Trauma Data Bank. J Vasc Surg. Mar;51(3):593-9, 599.e1-2.PMID: 20206804.
- D’Ayala M, Huzar T, Briggs W, Fahoum B, Wong S, Wise L, Tortolani A, 2010. Blood transfusion and its effect on the clinical outcomes of patients undergoing major lower extremity amputation. Ann Vasc Surg., May;24(4):468-73. Epub 2009 Nov 8.PMID: 19900785
- Loizzo JJ, Peterson JC, Charlson ME, Wolf EJ, Altemus M, Briggs WM, Vahdat LT, Caputo TA, 2010. The effect of a contemplative self-healing program on quality of life in women with breast and gynecologic cancers. Altern Ther Health Med., May-Jun;16(3):30-7. PMID: 20486622.
- Tavakol M, Hassan KZ, Abdula RK, Briggs W, Oribabor CE, Tortolani AJ, Sacchi TJ, Lee LY, Heitner JF., 2009. Utility of brain natriuretic peptide as a predictor of atrial fibrillation after cardiac operations. Ann Thorac Surg. Sep;88(3):802-7.PMID: 1969990.
- Zandieh SO, Gershel JC, Briggs WM, Mancuso CA, Kuder JM., 2009. Revisiting predictors of parental health care-seeking behaviors for nonurgent conditions at one inner-city hospital. Pediatr Emerg Care., Apr;25(4):238-243.PMID: 19382324.
- Birkhahn RH, Blomkalns AL, Klausner HA, Nowak RM, Raja AS, Summers RL, Weber JE, Briggs WM, Arkun A, Diercks D., 2008. Academic emergency medicine faculty and industry relationships. Acad Emerg Med., Sep;15(9):819-24.PMID: 19244632.
- Westermann H, Choi TN, Briggs WM, Charlson ME, Mancuso CA, 2008. Obesity and exercise habits of asthmatic patients. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. Nov;101(5):488-94.PMID: 19055202.
- Charlson ME, Charlson RE, Marinopoulos S, McCulloch C, Briggs WM, Hollenberg J, 2008. The Charlson comorbidity index is adapted to predict costs of chronic disease in primary care patients. J Clin Epidemiol, Dec;61(12):1234-40. PMID: 18619805
- Rosenzweig JS, Van Deusen SK, Okpara O, Datillo PA, Briggs WM, Birkhahn RH, 2008. Authorship, collaboration, and predictors of extramural funding in the emergency medicine literature. Am J Emerg Med. 26(1), 5-9. PMID: 18082774
- Mancuso CA, Westermann H, Choi TN, Wenderoth S, Briggs WM, Charlson ME, 2008. Psychological and somatic symptoms in screening for depression in asthma patients. J. Asthma. 45(3), 221-5. PMID: 18415830
- Boutin-Foster C., Ogedegbe G., Peterson J., Briggs M., Allegrante J., Charlson ME., 2008. Psychosocial mediators of the relationship between race/ethnicity and depressive symptoms in Latino and white patients with coronary artery disease. J. National Medical Association. 100(7), 849-55. PMID: 18672563
- Charlson, M, Peterson J., Syat B, Briggs WM, Kline R, Dodd M, Murad V, Dione W, 2007. Outcomes of Community Based Social Service Interventions in Homebound Elders Int. J. Geriatric Psychiatry. 23(4), 427-32. PMID: 17918183
- Charlson ME, Peterson F, Boutin-Foster C, Briggs WM, Ogedegbe G, McCulloch C, et al., 2008. Changing health behaviors to improve health outcomes after angioplasty: a randomized trial of net present value versus future value risk communication. Health Education Research. 23(5), 826-39. PMID: 18025064
- Ullery, BW, JC Peterson, FM, WM Briggs, LN Girardi, W Ko, AJ Tortolani, OW Isom, K Krieger, 2007. Cardiac Surgery in Nonagenarians: Should We or Shouldn’t We? Annals of Thoracic Surgery. 85(3), 854-60. PMID: 18291156
- Charlson ME, Boutin-Foster C., Mancuso C., Ogedegbe G., Peterson J., Briggs M., Allegrante J., Robbins L., Isen A., 2007. Using positive affect and self affirmation to inform and to improve self management behaviors in cardiopulmonary patients: Design, rationale and methods. Controlled Clinical Trials. November 2007 (Vol. 28, Issue 6, Pages 748-762).
- Hogle NJ, Briggs WM, Fowler DL, 2007.Documenting a learning curve and test-retest reliability of two tasks on a virtual reality training simulator in laparoscopic surgery. J Surg Educ. 64(6), 424-30. PMID: 18063281
- Mancuso, CA, T Choi, H Westermann, WM Briggs, S Wenderoth, 2007. Patient-reported and Physician-reported Depressive Conditions in Relation to Asthma Severity and Control. Chest. 133(5), 1142-8. PMID: 18263683
- Mancuso, CA, T Choi, H Westermann, WM Briggs, S Wenderoth, 2007. Measuring physical activity in asthma patients: two-minute walk test, repeated chair rise test, and self-reported energy expenditure. J. Asthma. 44(4), 333-40. PMID: 17530534.
- D’Ayala, M, C Martone, R M Smith, WM Briggs, M Potouridis, J S Deitch, and L Wise, 2006. The effect of systemic anticoagulation in patients undergoing angioaccess surgery. Annals of Vascular Surgery. 22(1), 11-5. PMID: 18055171
- Charlson ME, Charlson RE, Briggs W, Hollenberg J, 2007. Can disease management target patients most likely to generate high costs? The impact of comorbidity. J Gen Intern Med. 22(4), 464-9. PMID: 17372794
- Charlson ME, Peterson F, Krieger K, Hartman GS, Hollenberg J, Briggs WM, et al., 2007. Improvement of outcomes after coronary artery bypass II: a randomized trial comparing intraoperative high versus customized mean arterial pressure. J. Cardiac Surgery. 22(6), 465-72. PMID: 18039205
- Charlson ME, Boutin-Foster C, Mancuso CA, Peterson F, Ogedegbe G, Briggs WM, Robbins L, Isen A, Allegrante JP, 2006. Randomized Controlled Trials of Positive Affect and Self-affirmation to Facilitate Healthy Behaviors in Patients with Cardiopulmonary Diseases: Rationale, Trial Design, and Methods. Contemporary Clinical Trials. 28(6), 748-62. PMID: 17459784.
- Charlson ME, Charlson RE, Briggs WM, Hollenberg J, 2006. Can disease management target patients most likely to generate high costs. J. General Internal Medicine. 22(4), 464-9.
- Birkhahn, WM Briggs, PA Datillo, SK Van Deusen, TJ Gaeta, 2006. Classifying patients suspected of appendicitis with regard to likelihood. American Journal of Surgery, 191(4), 497-502. PMID: 16531143
- Milla F, Skubas N, Briggs WM, Girardi LN, Lee LY, Ko W, Tortolani AJ, Krieger KH, Isom OW, Mack CA, 2006. Epicardial beating heart cryoablation using a novel argon-based cryoclamp and linear probe. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg., 131(2), 403-11.
- Milling, TJ, C Holden, LA Melniker, WM Briggs, R Birkhahn, TJ Gaeta, 2006. Randomized controlled trial of single-operator vs. two-operator ultrasound guidance for internal jugular central venous cannulation. Acad Emerg Med., 13(3), 245-7.
- Birkhahn, SK Van Deusen, O Okpara, PA Datillo, WM Briggs, TJ Gaeta, 2006. Funding and publishing trends of original research by emergency medicine investigators over the past decade. Annals of Emergency Medicine, 13(1), 95-101
- Melniker LA, Leibner E, McKenney MG, Lopez P, Briggs WM, Mancuso CA., 2006. Randomized Controlled Clinical Trial of Point-of-Care, Limited Ultrasonography (PLUS) for Trauma in the Emergency Department: The First Sonography Outcomes Assessment Program (SOAP-1) Trial. Annals of Emergency Medicine. 48(3), 227-235.
- Milling, TJ, J Rose, WM Briggs, R Birkhahn, TJ Gaeta, JJ Bove, and LA Melniker, 2005. Randomized, controlled clinical trial of point-of-care limited ultrasonography assistance of central venous cannulation: the Third Sonography Outcomes Assessment Program (SOAP-3) Trial. Crit Care Med. 33(8), 1764-9.
- Garfield JL, Birkhahn RH, Gaeta TJ, Briggs WM, 2004. Diagnostic Delays and Pathways on Route to Operative Intervention in Acute Appendicitis. American Surgeon. 70(11), 1010-1013.
- Birkhahn RH, Gaeta TJ, Tloczkowski J, Mundy TA, Sharma M, Bove JJ, Briggs WM, 2003. Emergency medicine trained physicians are proficient in the insertion of transvenous pacemakers. Annals of Emergency Medicine. 43 (4), 469-474.
PREPRINTS & ABSTRACTS (I do not track these assiduously)
- Wei Li,Piotr Gorecki, Robert Autin, William Briggs, Elie Semaan, Anthony J. Tortolani, Marcus D’Ayala, 2011. Concurrent Prophylactic Placement of Inferior Vena Cava Filter (CPPOIVCF) in Gastric Bypass and Adjustable Banding Operations: An analysis of the Bariatric Outcomes Longitudinal Database. Eastern Vascular Society 25th Annual Meeting, 2011.
- Wei Li, Jo Daniel, James Rucinski, Syed Gardezi, Piotr Gorecki, Paul Thodiyil, Bashar Fahoum, William Briggs, Leslie Wise, 2010. FACSFactors affecting patient disposition after ambulatory laparoscopic cholecystectomy (ALC) cheanalysis of the National Survey of Ambulatory Surgery (NSAS). American College of Surgeons.
- Wei Li, Marcus D’Ayala, et al., William Briggs, 2010. Coronary bypass and carotid endarterectomy (CEA): does a combined operative approach offer better outcome? – Outcome of different management strategies in patients with carotid stenosis undergoing coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG). Vascular Annual Meeting.
- Briggs, WM, 2007. On equi-probable priors, MAX ENT 2007, Saratoga Springs, NY.
- Briggs, WM, and RA Zaretzki, 2006. On producing probability forecasts (from ensembles). 18th Conf. on Probability and Statistics in the Atmospheric Sciences, Atlanta, GA, Amer. Meteor. Soc.
- Briggs, WM, and RA Zaretzki, 2006. Improvements on the ROC Curve: Skill Plots for Forecast Evaluation. Invited. Joint Research Conference on Statistics in Quality Industry and Technology, Knoxville, TN.
- Briggs, WM, and RA Zaretzki, 2005. Skill Curves and ROC Curves for Diagnoses, or Why Skill Curves are More Fun. Joint Statistical Meetings, American Stat. Soc., Minneapolis, MN.
- Briggs W.M., 2005. On the optimal combination of probabilistic forecasts to maximize skill. International Symposium on Forecasting San Antonio, TX. International Institute of Forecasters. (pdf)
- Briggs, WM, and D Ruppert, 2004. Assessing the skill of yes/no forecasts for Markov observations. 17th Conf. on Probability and Statistics in the Atmospheric Sciences, Seattle, WA, Amer. Meteor. Soc.
- Melniker, L, E Liebner, B Tiffany, P Lopez, WM Briggs, M McKenney, 2004. Randomized clinical trial of point-of-care limited ultrasonography (PLUS) for trauma in the emergency department. Annals of Emergency Medicine, 44.
- Birkhahn RH, Gaeta TJ, Van Deusen SK, Briggs WM, 2004. Classifying patients suspected of appendicitis with regard to likelihood. Annals of Emergency Medicine, 44 (4): S17-S17 51 Suppl. S.
- Zandieh, SO, WM Briggs, JM Kuder, and CA Mancuso, 2004. Negative perceptions of health care among caregivers of children auto-assigned to a Medicaid managed care health plan. Ambulatory Pediatric Association Meeting, San Francisco, CA; and National Research Service Award Trainees Conference, San Diego, CA.
- Melniker, L, E Liebner, B Tiffany, P Lopez, M Sharma, WM Briggs, M McKenney, 2003. Cost Analysis of Point-of-care, Limited Ultrasonography (PLUS) in Trauma Patients: The Sonography Outcomes Assessment Program (SOAP)-1 Trial. Academic Emergency Medicine, 11, 568.
- Melniker, LA, WM Briggs, and CA Mancuso, 2003. Including comorbidity in the assessment of trauma patients: a revision of the trauma injury severity score. J. Clin Epidemiology, Sep., 56(9), 921. PMID: 14505784
- Briggs, WM, and RA Levine, 1998. Comparison of forecasts using the bootstrap. 14th Conf. on Probability and Statistics in the Atmospheric Sciences Phoenix, AZ, Amer. Meteor. Soc., 1-4.
- Briggs, WM, and R Zaretzki, 1998. The effect of randomly spaced observations on field forecast error scores. 14th Conf. on Probability and Statistics in the Atmospheric Sciences Phoenix, AZ, Amer. Meteor. Soc., 5-8.
- Briggs, WM, and RA Levine, 1996. Wavelets and image comparison: new approaches to field forecast verification. 13th Conf. on Probability and Statistics in the Atmospheric Sciences, San Francisco, CA, Amer. Meteor. Soc., 274-277.
- Briggs, WM, and DS Wilks, 1996. Modifying parameters of a daily stochastic weather generator using long-range forecasts. 13th Conf. on Probability and Statistics in the Atmospheric Sciences, San Francisco, CA, Amer. Meteor. Soc., 243-2246.